Monday, January 23, 2012

Nero's Red Ale and Double Dark Malt Ale (3 toasts)

I got these at Trader Joe's for about $5 each and there's about two glasses of beer in each super cool bottle, so it's a fair deal.  The beer is just so-so though.  They are both Italian Craft Ales.  I have no idea what Italian beers are typically like, but I think I'll stick to the wine while I'm over there.

Let's start with the Apecchio Red Ale.  It was a light golden red and smelled like roasted nuts.  The flavor was interesting, roasted nuts and lemon, but not enough to keep me interested.  It wasn't too hoppy or too malty, so some might find this fairly well balanced, but it just lost my interest pretty quickly.

The second is the 1st Century Double Dark Malt Ale.  It's not dark at all.  In fact it's a light yellow-brown.  It doesn't have a noticeable smell, but my nose is shot, so you'll have to let me know if you smell anything.  The taste does live up to its name:  it is super malty.  But it's too sweet on the back of my palate and it kind of grosses me out.

Does anyone have an opinion on these or other Italian beers?

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment