Monday, April 2, 2012

Old Thumper Ale (4 toasts)

I went to Yankee Pier in Santana Row with my Mom this weekend and had an Old Thumper.  I had to get it because of the name and the waiter said it was an old style English ale, which sounded intriguing.  It was originally made by Ringwood Brewery in England, but they contracted with Shipyard Brewing Company in Portland, Maine to bring it to the U.S.  It's a pretty enjoyable beer.  I had a fairly greasy meal, so it was pretty refreshing.  It is slightly hoppy and bitter and a little floral.  I probably wouldn't drink this on its own, but it's nicely balanced to pair with a good old English meal.  It comes in a huge bottle, but it's pretty low on the alcohol (about 5.6%), so go ahead and drink the whole thing!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment