Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sonoma Chicken Coop Beers (4 and 3 toasts)

Is this a Bay Area thing?  I personally love the Coop.  Good food, good beer, well run.  A little crowded though, as everyone else agrees with me.  I went there recently for a friend's birthday and tried two of their beers.

1.  Scottish Ale:  4 toasts.  This dark brown ale was very smooth and had notes of vanilla.  It was a lot lighter tasting than it looks, but it was very enjoyable.  I would get this again with just about any dish.

2.  Belgian XXXX:  3 toasts.  They had to serve this in a smaller glass because it had about 13% alcohol.  Just one of those (after the Scottish Ale, of course) put me into the "dancing on table tops" danger zone.  I would recommend taking it easy with these unless you want to wake up next to a complete stranger in Zimbabwe.  I don't think I would ever get one of these again, and a lot of people at my table agreed, but I could imagine that a certain population would really like this beer.  It's a dessert beer: intensely syrupy cider with notes of licorice and molasses.

Now I want their shrimp and avocado salad with a glass of the Scottish Ale.  Yum!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment